Pumpkin Tea Bread
This spiced pumpkin bread is even more delicious with the addition of 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup soft vegetable shortening
- 2 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups canned pumpkin
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cloves
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans (5 by 9 inches).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add pumpkin and water, stirring until blended. Sift together dry ingredients and spices. Stir into pumpkin mixture with a wooden spoon just until blended.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then turn out on rack to cool completely.