Purée Saint-Germain (Puréed Peas)
This is the purée version of Petits pois à la française.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. shelled fresh peas
- 1 cup Bibb lettuce leaves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 4 Tbsp. butter, diced and at room temperature
- 1 tsp. black ground black pepper
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add salt and pour in the fresh peas.
- Add the lettuce leaves and parsley. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Put a strainer over a large bowl. Pour the contents of the saucepan into the strainer. Put the peas, lettuce, and parsley into a blender and process for 30 seconds. Put the cooking liquid back into the saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat, and reduce up to the point where its depth is 1".
- In a medium serving bowl, pour the puréed peas and slowly add the cubes of butter, stirring well with a wooden spoon. Season with pepper, and add the reduced cooking liquid to the peas, tablespoon by tablespoon, stirring. Stop when the purée is smooth and thick.
- Serve immediately.