Don’t be afraid of the anchovies in this dish. They simply melt away and add a complex flavor to this spicy, salty, garlicky sauce.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 12 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 anchovies in oil
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. drained nonpareil-sized capers
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Pat the anchovies with a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, nonstick skillet and add the anchovies, garlic, and onion. Sauté until the anchovies mostly disappear into the onion and garlic and the onions are soft, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place the onions, anchovies, and garlic into a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir to distribute the ingredients evenly. Cook on low for 12 hours.
- If the sauce looks very wet at the end of the cooking time, remove the lid and cook on high for 15 to 30 minutes before serving.