Quatre Quarts (French Pound Cake)
The first recipe French kids learn how to bake is the French version of the pound cake! The weight of the ingredients depends on the weight of the first one, the eggs.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. plus 3⁄4 cup salted butter, softened, divided
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan with 1 teaspoon butter, pour 1 tablespoon flour in it, and shake the dish so that the flour gets everywhere in the dish.
- In a large bowl, work the butter by stirring it with a wooden spatula until smooth. Add the eggs and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture is creamy. Mix in sugar, flour, and baking powder. Beat until well-blended.
- Pour the mixture in the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.