For variety, add chopped spinach, black olives, or chopped mushrooms to this basic hot cheese dish. For a mild queso, replace the jalapeño with chopped bell pepper.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 oz. Mexica Cotija
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. water or tequila
- 2 Tbsp. onion, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- Tortilla chips
- Chop the Monterey Jack into small pieces. Crumble the Mexica Cotija.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the heavy cream to a simmer. Add the cheeses in 4 batches, stirring each addition in a figure-eight motion until completely melted. Dissolve cornstarch in water or tequila. Stir into cheese mixture.
- Add onion, green onions, cilantro, and pepper to the mixture. Stir in cumin. Heat cheese mixture until bubbly.
- Pour into 1 or more fondue pots and place over heating source. Serve with tortilla chips for dipping.