The first and most famous French savory pie: Quiche Lorraine!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 unbaked pie shell (9")
- 4 oz. cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 oz. Gruyère cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs well, then add the cream and whisk until very smooth. Add the milk slowly and whisk well again. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg, then stir again.
- With a fork, make small holes all over the pie dough.
- Spread the bacon over the dough. Pour the egg and cream mixture on it. Spread the grated cheese all over the quiche. Bake on the top rack of your oven for 20 minutes, then move the quiche to the lower rack for another 20 minutes. Then turn off the oven and leave the quiche inside while it cools, with the door slightly open.
- Serve lukewarm with a salad, or cold the next morning, at brunch or for a picnic.