Quick and Easy Hot and Sour Soup
This modified version of the famous Szechwan soup contains ingredients that are all available at the local supermarket.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup canned bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
- 2 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cooked pork or chicken, cut as desired
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 medium green onion, trimmed and minced
- 3 drops sesame oil
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken broth and water to a boil. When it is boiling, add the salt, sugar, soy sauce, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, and cooked meat.
- Bring back to a boil and add the rice vinegar and white pepper. Test the broth and adjust the taste if required. Mix the cornstarch and water and slowly pour it into the soup, stirring. When the soup thickens turn off the heat.
- Pour in the beaten egg and stir quickly to form thin shreds. Stir in the green onion. Drizzle with the sesame oil. Give a final stir and serve hot.