Quick Granola Bars
If a granola bar is easier to tote around for a snack than loose granola, try this recipe.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 day 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup egg whites (approximately 7 egg whites)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Line a strainer with a coffee filter, using it as a sieve. (If you donʼt have a paper coffee filter, you can line a colander with paper towels). Spoon yogurt into coffee filter. Place strainer over a bowl so yogurt can drain. Make sure there is at least an inch between the bottom of the strainer and the bottom of the bowl.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Discard liquid. Carefully remove homemade yogurt cheese from paper. Please note that the longer the yogurt drains, the thicker it becomes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" × 9" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, peanuts, and raisins. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt cheese, egg whites, and vanilla, whisking until well blended. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Firmly press mixture into prepared baking pan. Bake about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on rack for 10 minutes before cutting into bars.