Quick Italian Turkey Appetizer Meatballs
Frozen Italian meatballs make this appetizer a snap to make. Look for them near the meat products in your grocer’s freezer.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 12 frozen Italian-style turkey meatballs
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a 3-quart Dutch oven. When hot, add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and the carrot is softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the tomato paste, then add the crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then add the meatballs. Cover and bake until the meatballs are heated through and the sauce is slightly thickened, about 30 minutes.