This is a simpler version of the traditional Spanish rice dish, which is made with saffron, peas, chicken, chorizo, and shellfish. Dress up this recipe by adding cooked lobster claws and crab legs at the end.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutes
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5 oz. each), cubed
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 3 cups uncooked white long-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 8 oz. chorizo or smoked sausage, sliced
- ½ cup calamari, cut into 1-inch slices
- ½ cup diced canned clams
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until golden-brown, about 8 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, and turmeric to the pot, and sauté until onions are translucent. Add rice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth, browned chicken, and bay leaves. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover pot with a lid. Simmer 20 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine chicken and rice mixture with peas, sausage, calamari, and clams and put in a 9" x 13" shallow baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
- Uncover dish, add shrimp, and bake for 15 minutes more.