Quick Pickled Sauerkraut
If fermenting your own sauerkraut seems like too much of a time investment, this recipe offers a nice alternative. Pack green or purple cabbage into a simple brine.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups chopped red or green cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- Pack cabbage very tightly in a half-pint mason jar.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and garlic together until mixture begins to simmer and salt dissolves.
- Pour brine over cabbage. Twist lid on tightly.
- Refrigerate overnight. Store in refrigerator and enjoy within one week.