Quick Tomato Sauce
This sauce can be assembled in 20 minutes from ingredients right in the house. It is an excellent all-purpose red sauce for pasta or any recipe calling for tomato sauce.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes in purée
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan for 1 minute over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook 5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Stir in tomato paste and sugar; cook, stirring, 5 minutes more. Add crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Simmer 10 minutes.