Quick Turkey Cassoulet
Save yourself some time by substituting 1 cup of premade bread crumbs for the 3 slices of bread.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 slices of bread (or 1 cup premade bread crumbs)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ lb. turkey kielbasa sausage, thinly sliced
- 1½ cups diced cooked white turkey
- 1 can (16 oz.) Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup dry white wine or dry red wine
- 1½ tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Tear the bread into pieces and spread them on a baking sheet; bake for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp and lightly colored. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or flameproof casserole dish, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrot, and garlic; cook, stirring, until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the kielbasa and cook, stirring, until it is lightly browned, about 5 minutes longer. Add the turkey, beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, wine, thyme, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Sprinkle the cassoulet with the bread crumbs and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbling.