Quinoa and Carrot Mac and Cheese Cups
If one of your resolutions for the year is to get your family to eat more veggies and whole grains – especially those picky kiddos – then you're going to love this family-pleasing recipe for Quinoa and Carrot Mac and Cheese Cups. Whole grain quinoa and organic baby carrots are hidden inside cups of cheesy macaroni goodness that no one can resist.
Serves: 10Cook: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked to package directions
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic® Baby Carrots, cut and peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Simple Truth Organic® Quinoa
- 1/2 cup Simple Truth Organic® Plain Low-Fat Yogurt
- 1 Simple Truth® Natural Cage-Free Egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby Jack or cheddar cheese, plus more for topping (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Spray the inside of 10 cups of a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package directions.
- Prepare the quinoa while the pasta is cooking. Follow the package directions, but reduce the amounts to ½ cup of quinoa and 1 cup water.
- Steam the baby carrots while the pasta and quinoa are cooking. Place them with a little water in a microwave-safe container with a lid. Cook on high for 5-8 minutes or until they're very tender. Puree the cooked carrots with the water in your blender or food processor.
- Add the quinoa and macaroni to a mixing bowl after they've cooked. Add the pureed carrots, yogurt, egg, olive oil, ¾ cup shredded cheese, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Using a large ice cream scoop or a cookie dough scoop, divide the mixture evenly between the 10 prepared muffin tin cups. Sprinkle the top of each mac and cheese cup with a little more cheese, if desired.
- Bake at 375° F for 15-20 minutes or until the cups are set and golden around the edges. Let them stand 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pan.
- Serve and enjoy!