Quinoa “Mac and Cheese” in Tomato Bowls
These yummy broiled tomatoes make delicious little bowls for this tasty quinoa dish.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves
- Juice of ½ medium lemon
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large beefsteak tomatoes, top 1" sliced off, pulp and seeds scooped out
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the quinoa, and cook until the quinoa is tender, 15–20 minutes. Drain in a mesh strainer, and rinse until cold; set aside.
- Heat the grapeseed oil in a skillet over medium heat, stir in pine nuts, and cook until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens, about 2 minutes. Stir in the quinoa and spinach; cook and stir until the quinoa is hot, and the spinach has wilted, about 3–4 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and the cheese.
- Place tomatoes in a baking dish and fill with stuffing. Pace sliced top back on top of the tomato. Place under preheated broiler for 5 minutes until they soften slightly but still remain intact.