Quinoa Meat Loaf
You won’t miss the bread crumbs in this recipe. Quinoa adds protein and texture to your typical meat loaf.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2–3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 package (20 oz.) ground chicken (or turkey or lean ground beef)
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. wheat-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg and 1 egg white
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground rosemary
- 1 tsp. ground basil
- ¾ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring the quinoa and broth to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender and the broth has been absorbed, about 15–20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- In a large bowl add the chicken, cooked quinoa, onions, garlic, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, egg and egg white, salt, pepper, seasonings, and Parmesan cheese. Mix until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until no longer pink in the center, 50–60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160°F. Let the meat loaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.