Quinoa Pilaf with Cinnamon Squash
Quinoa, the Peruvian super food, makes a delicious pilaf. Roasted squash with cinnamon adds a comforting feel to this side.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 medium butternut squash (2 lbs.), peeled and cubed in 1" pieces
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 small onion, peeled and minced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Toss squash with the cinnamon, 1 tablespoon oil, and ½ teaspoon salt. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake 20 minutes or until soft.
- While squash bakes, heat the remaining tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes; add the quinoa. Sauté the quinoa for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
- Add the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the pilaf sit for 5 minutes. Toss the quinoa with the squash and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with parsley and serve hot.