Quinoa Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Squares
Save to My Recipes
Quinoa adds a wonderful texture, protein, antioxidants, and fiber to these squares. You won’t feel guilty having your second!
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutes
- cooking spray
- 2 cups wheat-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, cooled
- 1½ tsp. wheat-free vanilla extract
- 1½ cups pumpkin purée
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" × 9" or 9" × 13" baking dish with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix flour, flaxseed, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter, sugar, and maple syrup until thoroughly combined. Add egg, quinoa, and vanilla and mix again.
- Slowly add in pumpkin purée and continue to mix well. Once completely mixed, slowly add flour mixture. Feel free to add small amounts of water in increments of 1 teaspoon if batter seems too thick.
- Once the flour mixture is thoroughly mixed, add chocolate chips and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until you place a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. Allow to cool before cutting into squares.