Quinoa Turkey Meatloaf
Shhhh, don’t tell the kids! Not only is this comfort food classic full of the nutrient-packed quinoa, it’s also gluten-free and packed with vegetables.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Bring 1 cup water and the quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for twenty minutes. Remove from heat and cool at least 20 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, pulse the onion and carrots separately in a food processor until very finely chopped but not puréed.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots with 1⁄2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently until the onions and carrots are soft, but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute. Turn off the heat and cool vegetables for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa and carrot and onion mixture are cooling, combine the yogurt, eggs, thyme, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and remaining salt in large mixing bowl. Add the cooled quinoa and vegetables and mix well. Stir in the ground turkey and mix until uniformly combined. Separate the mixture into two even amounts and form into 2 loaves (about 12-by-6-by-2-inch each) on a lined baking sheet.
- Combine the ketchup and brown sugar in a small bowl and coat each meatloaf with 3 tablespoons sauce. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and coat with the remaining sauce. Return to the oven and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 30 minutes more. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.