Raised Buttermilk Biscuits
Serves: 24Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup cultured lowfat buttermilk, warm
- ⅛ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ tsp. active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. low-salt baking powder
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- Put the buttermilk and sugar in a food processor and process until mixed. Sprinkle the yeast over the buttermilk-sugar mixture and pulse once or twice to mix. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to work and is bubbling. Add the remaining ingredients to the food processor and pulse until mixed, being careful not to over process the dough.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drop by heaping teaspoon per biscuit onto a baking sheet treated with nonstick spray. Set the tray in a warm place and allow the biscuits to rise for about 15 minutes. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.