These doughnuts are lighter and fluffier than a cake doughnut. It’s well worth the time it takes for the dough to rise!
Serves: 24Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup water, lukewarm
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup boiling water
- ⅓ cup plus 3 Tbsp. soy milk, divided
- Egg replacement equal to 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. salt, divided
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vegan margarine
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Stir yeast into ½ cup lukewarm water in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, stir shortening and sugar into the ½ cup boiling water until dissolved. Warm ⅓ cup soymilk and add it to the egg replacement, yeast mixture, and the sugar mixture.
- Mix in ½ teaspoon salt and 2 cups flour. Gradually mix in additional flour until you have a soft dough. Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth, approximately 5 minutes. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and set aside for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough to ½" thick and cut out 2"–3" circles with a doughnut cutter or the rim of a drinking glass. Place dough circles on parchment paper and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Pour oil into a deep pot and heat to 375°F over medium to medium-high heat. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, turning once, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Melt vegan margarine in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar, remaining 3 tablespoons soy milk, remaining salt, and vanilla extract. Whisk until creamy.
- While doughnuts are still warm, dip in glaze on one side and place on wire racks to cool. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.