Raisin-Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread
Batter breads are really simple to make because they require less of your time.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packages (1⁄4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1 1⁄4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- In large bowl, combine yeast and warm water; let stand for 10 minutes. In small saucepan, combine milk, brown sugar, and honey; heat over low heat until warm. Add to yeast along with egg and egg whites; beat until combined.
- Add oat bran, oats, and 1 cup whole-wheat flour and beat for 1 minute. Let stand, covered, for 30 minutes. Then stir in salt, cinnamon, raisins, remaining whole-wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a stiff batter; beat for 2 minutes.
- Spray two 9-by-5-inch loaf pans with nonstick cooking spray. Divide batter among the pans, smoothing the top. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes until batter is doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake bread for 30 to 40 minutes or until bread is firm and golden brown. Remove from pans, brush tops with melted butter, and let cool on wire racks.