Raisin and Pistachio Pudding
This delicious rice pudding is made with wine-soaked raisins and toasted pistachios.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup shelled roasted pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 small key lime
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup rice
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- Grind the pistachios in a nut grinder or food processor until you have small pieces. (They should not be ground into a powder.) Put the raisins and wine in a small mixing bowl and set aside. Remove the rind from the key lime and discard the fruit.
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium-sized pan. Add the lime rind, rice, and salt. Cover and boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Discard the lime rind. Add the milk, sugar, and cinnamon. Continue cooking, uncovered, on low heat until all the milk has been absorbed.
- Drain off and discard the wine that has not soaked into the raisins. Stir the pistachios, raisins, and egg yolks into the rice mixture; cook for 5 minutes, uncovered.
- Transfer the pudding to a serving dish, cover, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.