Rajma (Indian Bean Chili)
Serve this vegetarian chili over rice as an entrée or as a spicy side dish with a simple roast chicken. Use canned kidney beans or cook your own.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cans (16 oz.) red kidney beans
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup minced cilantro
- Place beans in a colander; rinse and drain. In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine oil, garlic, jalapeños, ginger, and onion; stirring constantly, sauté until mixture begins to brown.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, garam masala, chili powder, and turmeric; continue cooking and stirring 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil; cook 5 minutes, or until sauce is thick.
- Add beans and salt. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro. Serve over rice.