Rangoon Rice Cakes with Cucumber Salad
These hearty cakes benefit from the tartness of the cold cucumber salad. Serve with chicken, shrimp, or fish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups cooked short grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup minced scallions
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 Thai red chili, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1⁄2 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Mix the rice, garlic, onion, and gingerroot, together.
- Add the eggs and cream and keep mixing. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and combine well.
- Form into 12 small cakes. (The recipe can be made up to this point in advance and refrigerated for up to a day.)
- Heat oil in a frying pan over high heat. Cover the cakes with crumbs and fry until golden. Place on paper towels to drain, and then on a warm platter.
- Whisk vinegar, sugar, cilantro, and chilies together. Add cucumber and chill for 20 minutes. Serve cakes with cucumber salad.