This traditional Mexican drink makes a delicious breakfast, a great cold-weather alternative to smoothies. Use masa harina para tortillas to make atole as it is ground finer than regular masa harina or cornmeal and will make a smoother beverage You can find it at many supermarkets, Latin markets, and online.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup masa harina or cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups skim milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- Place the cornmeal, water, milk, and whipping cream in a large saucepan. Heat at medium temperature, stirring constantly. Do not boil.
- Crush the raspberries with a potato masher.
- When the mixture thickens, add the sugar and raspberries, as well as the juice from the raspberries. Continue heating, stirring constantly. When the mixture produces small bubbles, it is ready to serve.