This makes a very unique and beautiful vinegar that has a sweet-sour quality.
Makes: 2 quartsHands-on: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
Makes: 2 quarts
- 3 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 3 cups rice vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, about 2" each
- 4 whole allspice berries
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- In a stainless-steel or enamel saucepan, combine 2 cups berries with rice vinegar, cinnamon sticks, and allspice berries. Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered for 3 minutes. Stir in honey. Remove from heat.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh strainer and let it drain into a bowl. Discard berries.
- Divide remaining 1 cup raspberries evenly between two jars. Add 1 cinnamon stick and 2 whole allspice berries to each jar.
- Ladle half of the vinegar into each jar. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rims.
- Cap and seal in a hot-water bath for 10 minutes. Let sit in a cool place for 2–3 weeks before opening.
- Strain through a colander lined with cheesecloth twice and discard berries and spices before using.