Save to My Recipes
This dish is very representative of Provençal cuisine. And don’t let the Pixar movie fool you; it’s actually pretty easy to prepare!
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 7 oz. bacon, cut in ½"-wide slices
- 2 medium onions, peeled and diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, cut in ½" cubes
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in ½" cubes
- 1 large eggplant, cut in ½" cubes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can (48 oz.) diced peeled tomatoes
- Put a medium French oven or any cast-iron pot over medium-high heat. Heat the olive oil, and add the bacon slices. Stir well, cook for 1 minute, then add the onion. Cook for 2 minutes together, stirring well, then add the bell pepper. Cook together for 2 minutes, then add the zucchini cubes. Stir well, and add the eggplant cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the minced garlic, thyme, and the bay leaf. Stir well, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the diced tomatoes with their juice, cover again, and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove bay leaf. Serve dish warm, or cold the next day.