Ratatouille Tarte Tatin
Roasting the veggies reduces some of the moisture to help keep the pastry dry and flaky. Many store-bought puff pastry are vegan, but to make sure, check the ingredients.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup halved olives
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 package (17.3 oz.) vegan puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- To make ratatouille, combine all of the vegetables, olives, garlic, sea salt, black pepper, and crushed pepper together in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss to coat. Turn out onto a large baking sheet and roast until vegetables are tender and beginning to brown, about 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat a baking sheet. Roll out dough to approximately an 8-by-14-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to preheated baking sheet. Dock surface of dough with the tines of a fork and bake until browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Arrange ratatouille evenly over the pastry, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around. Brush the border edges with remaining olive oil. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until pastry is golden brown.