Raw Tomatillo Salsa
This simple salsa, called cruda, is probably the easiest way to make a salsa from tomatillos. This sauce may seem a bit thin at first, but it will thicken as it stands.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. tomatillos, (around 20) husked and washed
- 4 serrano chilies, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Put the tomatillos in a small pan, just barely cover them with water, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until they are softened. Drain, but reserve a bit of the cooking water.
- Combine 1⁄2 cup of the cooking water, chilies, cilantro, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until chopped.
- Add the cooked tomatillos in small batches, blending briefly after each one. The sauce should be chunky and rough.
- Transfer to a bowl and add salt. Let cool slightly before serving. Store covered in the refrigerator.