Real Macaroni and Cheese
This is a kids’ classic that is not just for kids! Serve it with broiled tomatoes and a green salad for a delicious meal. This recipe can be divided into individual portions and frozen before it is baked, and then baked at a later date for a quick weeknight dinner.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2¾ cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground pepper
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a medium-size saucepan. Stir in the flour and dry mustard; cook (stirring) over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens, whisking constantly to prevent burning on the bottom. Stir in the salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the cheese and let the mixture sit for a minute. Stir again to smooth out the melted cheese.
- Pour cooked macaroni into the casserole dish; add cheese sauce. Mix until macaroni is coated with cheese.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of the casserole and bake for 45 minutes, until browned and bubbly on the edges. Serve warm.