Red Christmas Cabbage
This colorful, spiced cabbage is best when made a few days ahead.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 9 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. lingonberry jam
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, or until transparent.
- Add cabbage and apple, and cook until the cabbage begins to release its juices. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 1 hour. Check occasionally and add water if necessary.
- Remove from heat, cool, and refrigerate overnight. Serve warm.