Red Cooked Pork
Red Cooked Pork, although not red at all, is an excellent example of home-style Chinese cooking.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 8 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ lbs. boneless pork loin
- ¼ cup Shaoxing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. dark soy sauce
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 cup blanched and julienned carrots
- 1 cup blanched and julienned snap peas
- 1 cup blanched and julienned red bell pepper
- Heat a nonstick skillet. Quickly sear the meat on all sides.
- Place all ingredients into a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker and slice or cube. Pour the sauce into a small saucepan and cook until it reduces and thickens. Discard the star anise and drizzle the sauce over the meat. Serve with vegetables.