Red Devil Chocolate Cake
Serve with tall glasses of cold milk.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 packed cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. red food coloring
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 container (16 oz.) cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of 2 cake pans (8 inches) with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup brown sugar, 1⁄2 cup milk, and chocolate over very low heat until the chocolate melts. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, stir the shortening to soften. Gradually add the remaining brown sugar and cream until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and red food coloring, mixing well. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the remaining 1⁄2 cup milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool on racks at least 30 minutes. Frost and fill the cake with cream cheese icing.