Red-Eye Barbecue Sauce
The addition of coffee to this barbecue sauce gives it its red-eye status, and deepens the flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. coffee grounds
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes). Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Puree in a food processor or blender. Cool, cover, and refrigerate until ready to use. Warm to room temperature before serving.