Red Hot Layer Cake
Turn up the heat this Valentine’s Day with this Red Hot Layer Cake! This fun and romantic two-layer white cake is frosted with an easy-to-make cinnamon candy-infused vanilla frosting.
Created by: Carrie Robinson, Frugal Foodie Mama
- 1 box (16.5 oz.) Kroger® White Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting
- 1/2 cup cinnamon imperial candies, plus more for decorating the cake
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray two 8” or 9” cake pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Follow the cake mix box directions to prepare the batter, combining the cake mix, 1 cup water, oil and egg whites. Spread evenly into the prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the cinnamon imperial candies into a food processor and pulse until most of the candies are a powder. It’s okay for some smaller pieces to remain. Spoon the tub of vanilla frosting into a medium mixing bowl and fold in the processed cinnamon candies.
- Place one of the cake layers top side down on a cake plate. Spoon a little less than half of the frosting on top of the cake and evenly spread it out to the edges. Place the second cake layer on top, bottom side down. Spoon the remaining frosting on top, and spread it out evenly to the edges of the top cake layer. Decorate with additional cinnamon imperial candies, if desired.
- Slice and serve! Any leftover cake can be kept covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.