Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup
Tangerine or carrot juice can be substituted for the orange juice in this recipe.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- ¾ cup dried red lentils, rinsed
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the water, juice, sugar, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon, bringing everything to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce to a medium heat, and cook the mixture, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Reduce to a simmer, stirring the soup frequently, for another 10 minutes, mashing sweet potatoes to blend in with lentils. Season with salt and black pepper before serving.