Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- ⅓ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 5 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Peel the peppers by charring the skin of each pepper over a gas stove flame, a grill, or under the broiler, turning until blackened. Cool, remove the skin and seeds, and chop coarsely.
- Toast the almonds and pine nuts in a preheated 300°F oven for about 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend the peppers, toasted nuts, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, oregano, and cayenne. Pour into a bowl, and stir in the Parmesan. Add salt and garnish with fresh basil.