Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium red bell peppers
- 1⁄3 cup almonds
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 5 plum tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄8 tsp. cayenne
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Roast peppers by charring the skin of each pepper over a gas stove flame, a grill, or under the broiler, turning until blackened. Cool, remove skin and seeds, and chop coarsely.
- Toast almonds and pine nuts in a preheated 300°F oven for about 5 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, blend peppers, toasted nuts, tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt, oregano, and cayenne. Pour into a bowl and stir in Parmesan. Garnish with basil and serve.