Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is traditional for this beautiful cake, but vanilla frosting is another option.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cup softened butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. red gel food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour 3 layer cake pans (8 inches) or 2 layer cake pans (9 inches).
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together 3⁄4 cup butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa, food coloring, and water; blend well. Beat cocoa mixture into creamed mixture.
- Combine flour and 3⁄4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl; gradually beat it into creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Combine vinegar and soda in a cup and beat into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared layer cake pans. Bake for 22 to 30 minutes until cake bounces back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pans on wire racks.
- While cake cools, combine remaining 1⁄2 cup butter, cream cheese, remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, confectioners' sugar, and remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat well with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Remove cakes from the pans. Spread frosting over the top of each layer. Stack the cake layers and frost the sides, spreading the frosting evenly over the entire cake.