Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cream cheese frosting is traditional for this beautiful cake, but vanilla frosting is another option.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp. red gel food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- Dash salt
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour 3 (8") layer cake pans or 2 (9") layer cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa, food coloring, and water; blend well. Beat cocoa mixture into creamed mixture.
- Combine flour and salt in a small bowl; gradually beat it into creamed mixture, alternating with buttermilk. Combine vinegar and soda in a cup and beat into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared layer cake pans. Bake for 22–30 minutes until cake bounces back when lightly touched. Cool cake in pans on wire racks.
- While cake cools, combine all frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Beat well with an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Remove cakes from the pans. Spread frosting over the top of each layer. Stack the cake layers and frost the sides, spreading the frosting evenly over the entire cake.