Red Wine-Braised Roast
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 3 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bottom round rump roast (3½ lbs.)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Combine garlic salt, celery salt, onion powder, paprika, and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve ½ teaspoon of the mixture and rub the remainder evenly into the surface of the beef. Refrigerate roast for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown beef well on all sides. Add the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover tightly and simmer for 2½ hours until meat is fork-tender.
- Remove the beef and keep warm. Skim excess fat from the cooking liquid. Dissolve the cornstarch in about ¼ cup cold water, and add the ½ teaspoon reserved seasoning mix. Add the cornstarch mixture to the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Slice roast and serve with sauce.