Red Wine–Braised Beef Short Ribs with Mushrooms
Short ribs are one of the most elegant dishes you can prepare, and are actually one of the easiest, too. The short ribs, combined with dry red wine and mushrooms, create a luscious sauce to serve with your favorite mashed potatoes.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 10 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 lbs. English-cut beef short ribs
- 1½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1 cup low-sodium gluten-free beef broth
- 2½ cups dry red wine
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, leek, carrot, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and caramelized, about 8 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a 4–6-quart slow cooker.
- Add ribs to the same skillet and cook until browned on all sides. Put the ribs into the slow cooker with the vegetables.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, honey, and broth. Pour over the short ribs. Stir in wine, salt, pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cook on low for about 10 hours, or until meat is fork-tender. Remove and discard bay leaf. Garnish with parsley.