Restaurant-Style Coconut Shrimp
Serve this sweet and crunchy appetizer before a special romantic meal for two. Everyone loves coconut shrimp!
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 12 jumbo shrimp
- 1 bag (7 oz.) shredded coconut, divided
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving the tails on.
- In a medium bowl, combine 1⁄2 cup coconut, sugar, salt, flour, and beer. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oil in a small skillet or deep fryer to 350°F.
- Pour the rest of the coconut flakes into a shallow bowl. Dip one shrimp at a time into the batter, then roll the battered shrimp in the coconut.
- Fry the shrimp a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp become golden brown. Drain on paper towels.