These butterscotch-flavored brownies have been a favorite with kids and adults alike for decades. Omit the nuts if you want to. Sprinkle the tops of the blondies with some confectioners’ sugar just before serving for a sweet touch.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease 9" square pan. (Glass works best for this recipe.)
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a medium bowl; set aside. Melt butter and brown sugar together in a microwave, stirring until smooth. Let cool to room temperature.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Fold in flour mixture, chocolate chips, and walnuts until well blended and there are no streaks of flour in the dough.
- Bake 30–35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs clinging to it. Cool and cut into squares.