Perhaps invented in Omaha, but made famous in the delicatessens of the Lower East Side of Manhattan, this combination of corned beef, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing perfectly balances salty and tangy flavors. Serve with a garlic pickle spear.
Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutes
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 2 slices Swiss cheese
- 8 oz. thinly sliced corned beef brisket
- ½ cup drained sauerkraut
- ¼ cup Russian or Thousand Island dressing
- Butter one side of each slice of bread.
- For each sandwich, layer one slice of bread, butter side out, with cheese, corned beef, sauerkraut, dressing, and another slice of bread, butter side out.
- Grill sandwich in a skillet or on a griddle over medium heat until toasted.
- Cut in half and serve warm.