Revithosoupa (Chickpea Soup)
Canned chickpeas can be used for this recipe, and they require less cooking time.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp. dried saffron
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. rosemary leaves
- In a large saucepan, add chickpeas, salt, pepper, saffron, onions, olive oil, oregano, and enough water to cover chickpeas by 1".
- Cover and simmer 2 hours, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are soft and tender. Stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish with rosemary before serving.