Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. grated orange zest
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cups.
- In a bowl, combine the rhubarb, 1⁄4 cup of the sugar, and the orange zest. Stir well and let stand for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, the remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar, the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center. In another bowl, stir together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Add all at once to the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. The batter should be lumpy. Gently fold in the rhubarb mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup 2⁄3 full. Bake until a knife comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool no a rack for 15 minutes before serving.