Fresh rhubarb is available in the spring, but frozen rhubarb will also work in this pie.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 pie crusts (9 inches), unbaked
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Place 1 unbaked piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the rhubarb and toss to coat.
- Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Dot the top with the butter. Brush the edge of the bottom pie shell with the beaten egg so that the top crust will adhere.
- Top with the second crust and trim the dough to 1 inch of the pans edge. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust. Crimp the dough using your fingers.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake, in the lower third of the oven, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the fruit is tender and the crust begins to brown. Cool on a rack before serving.