Rhubarb has a pleasant sourness that adds a flavor dimension to sweet desserts!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 unbaked vegan pie or pastry dough pressed into a 9-inch tart pan
- 3 Tbsp. apricot jam
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 long strips lemon zest
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in 2 or 3 pieces
- 6 cups chopped rhubarb
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Fit a sheet of foil inside the crust and fill with dried beans to prevent crust from getting too puffy. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake for 15 minutes, until dark-golden brown. Spread crust evenly with apricot jam and bake for another 5 minutes. Cool crust in pan on a wire rack.
- In a large pot over low heat, add water. Stir sugar into the water until dissolved. Add lemon zest, cinnamon stick, and rhubarb. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 15 minutes. Rhubarb should be tender. Uncover and allow mixture to cool completely. Separate the rhubarb from the cooking liquid and arrange in the tart crust in a circular pattern. Strain the cooking liquid to remove the cinnamon stick and lemon peel.
- Return cooking liquid to the pot, bring to boil, and cook for 5 minutes, or until liquid has reduced to 1⁄4 cup. Cool completely and spoon evenly over rhubarb. Cool at room temperature.