Rhubarb Upside Down Strawberry Cake
Strawberry and rhubarb pair up for this beautiful & delicious upside down cake.
Prep: 30 minutesCook: 45 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted, plus ½ cup, softened & divided
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 12 ounces rhubarb, trimmed, cut in half if thick and cut into pieces that fit the pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon Kroger® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3⁄4 cup fresh pureed strawberries (about 8 oz. trimmed berries)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter an 8” square cake pan.
- Combine melted butter, brown sugar, ¼ cup sugar and lemon zest; spread in bottom of prepared pan. Line rhubarb pieces on top of sugar mixture in a pleasing pattern; set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl beat softened butter and ¾ cup sugar until combined. Add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Add flour mixture on low speed; beating to combine. Add strawberry puree and beat until well mixed. Pour cake batter over rhubarb.
- Bake 35-38 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to stand 5 minutes before inverting onto a serving dish.
- Tip: If fresh rhubarb isn’t in season this can be made with frozen rhubarb pieces; thaw and sprinkle pieces over the sugar mixture.