Rice Cooker Cream of Mushroom Soup
There are many ways of cooking this classic soup, up to the point of being luxurious and adding truffle oil as a finishing touch. This is a simple homemade version.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 lb. white or brown cremini mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided use
- 1⁄2 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. flour
- 8 chives
- Coarsely chop mushrooms in a food processor or with a sharp knife.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the butter into the rice cooker, cover, and set to Cook. When the base of the cooker pot gets warm and the butter melts, add the onions and fry for 5 minutes until onions become soft.
- Add the mushrooms and remaining butter and continue to fry, covered, for about 8 minutes, checking occasionally for the mushrooms and onions to be properly cooked (turn tender) in the process of frying.
- Slowly stir in the stock, salt, and pepper, cover the rice cooker, and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, switch the rice cooker to Warm, gently stir in the heavy cream, and allow to simmer, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before serving the soup, stir in the flour to thicken the soup, and simmer for the remaining 5 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve warm.